Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Am Not Worried

I've been looking for a job for close to three months now with no luck-- shouldn't I be worried? Why am I not more worried than I am?

I am not more worried than I am partly because I've been through this before, and many times. There have been times when I've found a job in one day and there have been times when it's taken me months. I was the same person every time, and though there were different cities, different times, different unemployment rates, I can see no pattern except that there is a lot of luck involved-- more than anything else, chance is the biggest factor of all.

Of course it has occurred to me that maybe: the world has passed me by; I am too old; the world is too much changed, and we are now living in the cold, dark future. I'm not so sure that it won't come to this some day, but I don't think we're quite there yet. Despite my limitations, I think that I am still a pretty good candidate for any job I apply for. I have things working for me and against me, sure-- but overall, I think my chances are at least average. I think that when the world gets to a place where I absolutely can't find any kind of job, that will indicate to me that we are to the point where the gap between wealth and poverty has increased to the point where a full scale, not very nice revolution will be inevitable. I am not looking forward to that day, and hopefully it will not happen in my lifetime. But I don't think we're there yet.

No comments: